Effective communication is a valuable skill and is essential for excellence in procurement. This course concentrates on building written communication skills for the buying process – there will be sessions on writing down clearly what you want to buy and on writing the contracts that allow you to buy these.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for anybody involved in defining requirements and/or writing contracts.
Topics covered in the course
- Needs and wants
- How to elicit requirements
- Writing an appropriate brief or specification
- Vocabulary and style in writing
- What is a contract
- When and why should there be a written contract
- What should a contract contain – its contents
- How should a contract look – its format
- Writing an appropriate contract
- When to seek help
- Dealing with legal matters and lawyers
The course will be delivered as a mix of theory and practical sessions. Participants will write briefs, specifications and contracts and get plenty of individual feedback.
Group break-out sessions will be used to explore certain topics.
At the end of the course participants will have learnt the uses and abuses of briefs, specifications and contracts.
They will have a clear idea of how to gather and structure information and how to write it down so that it can be easily understood by others.